Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » EM warning EM won't run after default 64-bit 11gR2 install (11gR2 64bit 11.2.0.1.0 Enterprise Ed on Win2008 R2 Enterprise)
EM warning EM won't run after default 64-bit 11gR2 install [message #515059] Fri, 08 July 2011 00:26 Go to next message
fribergb
Sad

All,

I've inherited a 10.2 instance here in Kuwait and I'm attempting to migrate to a brand new server; I downloaded and attempted to install 11gR2 (11.2.0.1.0) on my brand new HP clean and patched server running Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise.

I've tried clean install, re-install, install software first then database, install all together, a complete default install (other than putting the database on a different drive letter)... every time I get the same error-

Enterprise manager configuration succeeded with the following warning -

Error starting database control. Please execute the following command(s)

1) Set the environment variable ORACLE_UNQNAME to database unique name
2) ...emctl start dbconsole

There is plenty about this on the internet, google, forums. Some suggest dropping and reconfig of EM; tried that. One error leads to another error and I think I'm getting close, then some other error, more obscure than the last. VERY FRUSTRATING!

- Is this distribution broken??
- Should I try the 32-bit or just install and run the 10.2 on my brand new 64-bit server (that kinda hurts my head but I bet it would work!)
- OR is there a solution that a newb like me can do...

I've tried numerous re-boots, several fresh clean installs (after using the Oracle uninstaller and cleaning out the registry and deleting old files), I've set every environmental variable that I can in the system variables section including ORACLE_HOSTNAME, ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_UNQNAME

I've tried unlocking SYSTEM and SYSMAN user accounts, I've deconfig'd the EM and have recreated the repository, reconfig'd...

There are even threads on the internet suggesting that if you change the client time zone that it starts working?!! What?

There def. seems to be something wrong with this distro- I believe in my heart that there is a "file not found" error somewhere or a single line of broken installer code. I'm just not savvy enough to find it.

Database is installed and working find. SQL plus is working and fine. It's just EM that's broken and I... just... can't... fix... it.

Web page for EM starts just fine... log in (oddly, won't let me log in as SYSDBA from the web) then throws this error:

Error
Internal Error has occurred. Check the log file for details.

The log files are pages long and I'm not sure what I'm looking at. But I suspect that someone out there has solved this problem.

If not, what are your opinions as to the best course of action???

- Install different distro (like the 32-bit 11g)
- Install 10.2 and get on with my life- maybe upgrade later
- Wait for a patch???

Thanks in advance...

-Bryan

Re: EM warning EM won't run after default 64-bit 11gR2 install [message #515088 is a reply to message #515059] Fri, 08 July 2011 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fribergb
BTW,

Some are suggesting that the problem might be blank values in Gateway and DNS; this is true on my box for the first and second network adapter... only NIC 3 was plugged in by our server farm guru's...

Hmmmmm I've asked him to plug in the "Local Area Connection" so that Gateway and DNS will be populated off of DHCP.

Is this a clue?

-Bryan

Re: EM warning EM won't run after default 64-bit 11gR2 install [message #515243 is a reply to message #515088] Sat, 09 July 2011 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fribergb
**** SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED ****

All,

I solved this... thanks for listening anyway.

There is a flaw in the distribution where specific server timezones don't resolve to valid Oracle timezone values. My server was resolving to "America/Rio Branco" (a city in Brazil). Using this timezone you will never be able to successfully configure and run EM (maybe you smart people, but not us newb's)

Anyway, after a clean de-install and reboot, I was able to set the server timezone to 'Asia/Riyadh' (valid) and perform a successful installation of 11G R2 64 on Windows 2008 Enterprise 64-bit.

1. Set timezone correctly
2. Set the following in server's system variables: ORACLE_HOSTNAME, ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_UNQNAME
3. Verified that all NIC's had some type of data re. IP, DNS and Gateway even if the network cable was unplugged. In our server room we typically attach the wire to ETH2, not ETH0. But I made sure that all NIC's had IP, DNS and Gateway populated
4. Clean install of the software

Worked like a charm; EM is up and running... 100% go.... SOLVED!!!!

Take Care,

-Bryan

Re: EM warning EM won't run after default 64-bit 11gR2 install [message #515262 is a reply to message #515243] Sat, 09 July 2011 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Thanks for the feedback, it will help future readers.
Now we will be able to answer this question for those that will have the same problem.

Regards
Michel
Re: EM warning EM won't run after default 64-bit 11gR2 install [message #515609 is a reply to message #515059] Tue, 12 July 2011 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
itech

i am facing exactly the same problem...

you said to

1. Set timezone correctly

u mean in emd.properties file ? or somewhere else ?

and (emd.properties would not exists, before installation)...

or should iset the the tzagent and drop create em..

awaiting quick reply.

thanking in anticipation.
Re: EM warning EM won't run after default 64-bit 11gR2 install [message #515627 is a reply to message #515609] Tue, 12 July 2011 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
itech

i tried to install the database with your mentioned steps, but it gave the same error.

my timezine is +5 (in windows 7 its utc+5 Islamabad/Karachi)

Re: EM warning EM won't run after default 64-bit 11gR2 install [message #515725 is a reply to message #515627] Wed, 13 July 2011 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fribergb
Good morning itech,

I don't know if I can help much because I'm a newbie; but what I meant was "set the correct timezone on the server itself" as in on Windows.

It seems the server time zone is picked up by the oracle installer and resolves to an Oracle time zone. Mine was resolving to "America / Ria Branco" which is not in the allowed timezones list for 11.2...

1. Set your time zone on your server to whatever makes the clock on the start bar correct
2. Run the installer. If it fails, try a different time zone, unistall with the Oracle uninstaller (download from oracle tech network)
3. Try the installer again

Since I tried three different things, I'm not sure which worked... I set the timezone to a zone listed in the allowed time zone file, I put data in all NIC cards esp. gateway and DNS and also set some system variables in Windows before trying the installer.

GOOD LUCK!

-=B
Re: EM warning EM won't run after default 64-bit 11gR2 install [message #515817 is a reply to message #515725] Wed, 13 July 2011 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
itech

thank you.

this seems to be a timezone problem, i am in TZ+5

however the warning was still displayed during installation, i set this value (Asia/Karachi) in emd.properties file after installation,. the EM Console started loading, but it seems that agents not running, as now on main index it shows that database status is unknown, where as database is up and running.

in command line i tried to get the tz value using emctl cli, it showed america/bra*.* and the status of agent was agent is not running,. don't know how to solve it...

fribergb wrote on Wed, 13 July 2011 11:51
Good morning itech,

I don't know if I can help much because I'm a newbie; but what I meant was "set the correct timezone on the server itself" as in on Windows.

It seems the server time zone is picked up by the oracle installer and resolves to an Oracle time zone. Mine was resolving to "America / Ria Branco" which is not in the allowed timezones list for 11.2...

1. Set your time zone on your server to whatever makes the clock on the start bar correct
2. Run the installer. If it fails, try a different time zone, unistall with the Oracle uninstaller (download from oracle tech network)
3. Try the installer again

Since I tried three different things, I'm not sure which worked... I set the timezone to a zone listed in the allowed time zone file, I put data in all NIC cards esp. gateway and DNS and also set some system variables in Windows before trying the installer.

GOOD LUCK!

-=B

Re: EM warning EM won't run after default 64-bit 11gR2 install [message #666782 is a reply to message #515059] Fri, 24 November 2017 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bhupendra kumar rai
change the timezone of operating system to UTC-08:00 Pacific Time(US&Cananda)
and begin clean install
Re: EM warning EM won't run after default 64-bit 11gR2 install [message #666786 is a reply to message #666782] Sat, 25 November 2017 08:11 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
Six plus year old thread.
Previous Topic: Metric evaluation error start warning - changing timeout setting ?
Next Topic: How can i find the number of CAPS per trunk an Oracle SBC with SNMP trap
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:08:50 CDT 2024