Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Installing Oracle 11g Standard with prior XE Installation (Oracle 11g, Windows 7 64)
Installing Oracle 11g Standard with prior XE Installation [message #601943] Wed, 27 November 2013 10:48 Go to next message
zarpendorff
Hi there,

this is my first post here and I am not sure at all, whether I am asking my question in the correct forum and whether it has been asked before. I have googled for a while, but I did not find anything that I could understand and that helped me at the same time. I have to say that I am very new to this whole Oracle topic and that my knowledge tends to zero. So I appologize in advance. I also have to point out that I installed Oracle in german...

However, I want to describe my problem:

I have been using a really simple DB that I set up with Oracle XE on my local machine. Now, I downloaded and installed Oracle 11g Standard Edition ("software only" / no DB yet). Somehow, it does not work. Maybe, it has something to do with these two versions getting into a conflict with each other. I have disabled the OracleXE services, so now, when I start Windows, I have one process called "Oracle" (using ~300MB RAM). This seems to be the only service that has something to do with Oracle. I had to set the environment variables ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID manually in order to even start the TNS-Listener (recall: I have no idea what the TNS-Listener actually does) successfully via command-line.

When I finally try to run "sqlplus "/as sysdba"", I get the error "ORA-12560". I really do not know how to describe it any better. Therefore, I just copied the content of a few files:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------
Error Message:
http://imageshack.com/a/img541/9528/e7ri.png
tnsnames.ora:
# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: D:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

LISTENER_ORCL =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1522))

CDBTEST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SaschaTheisen)(PORT = 1522))
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = CDBTEST)
)
)

ORCL =
(DESCRIPTION =
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = ORCL)
)
)
sqlnet.ora:
# This file is actually generated by netca. But if customers choose to
# install "Software Only", this file wont exist and without the native
# authentication, they will not be able to connect to the database on NT.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)
listener.ora:

# listener.ora Network Configuration File: D:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\NETWORK\ADMIN\listener.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = cdbtest)
(ORACLE_HOME = D:\Oracle)
(SID_NAME = CDBTEST)
)
)

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
)
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1522))
)
)

ADR_BASE_LISTENER = D:\Oracle

Thanks for any help in advance!
Re: Installing Oracle 11g Standard with prior XE Installation [message #601957 is a reply to message #601943] Wed, 27 November 2013 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Now, I downloaded and installed Oracle 11g Standard Edition ("software only" / no DB yet)
without any DB sqlplus has nothing to connect to.

both OS Services for the database & listener need to be started & running before the Oracle DB can be started.

consider to actually read & follow the INSTALLATION GUIDE
Re: Installing Oracle 11g Standard with prior XE Installation [message #601959 is a reply to message #601957] Wed, 27 November 2013 15:09 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
More than one Oracle product can exist on the same system; pay attention to choose a different Oracle Home (i.e. a directory you install it into - put each of them into its own directory). Apart from that, you should really follow the Installation Guide. If there's something you don't understand, come here and ask; I'm sure someone will respond.
Previous Topic: Issues on migrating from Microsoft ODBC Driver to Oracle ODBC Driver
Next Topic: Having trouble with ODP.Net
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:24:55 CDT 2024