Home » Other » General » How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into (Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0)
How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into [message #672902] Wed, 31 October 2018 14:07 Go to next message
wtolentino
how can I find out what is the OS that a user is logged into. I tried the v$session and SYS_CONTEXT function but could not find the info that I am looking for. for example a user is on windows 10 and runs some SQL on SQL*Developer or login to the unix and runs some script in there thru SQLplus. i need to be able to see if the user is in the Windows 10 or unix or any OS.

thanks,
warren
Re: How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into [message #672905 is a reply to message #672902] Wed, 31 October 2018 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Have a look at V$SESSION_CONNECT_INFO.NETWORK_SERVICE_BANNER.

Re: How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into [message #672917 is a reply to message #672902] Wed, 31 October 2018 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
wtolentino wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 12:07
how can I find out what is the OS that a user is logged into. I tried the v$session and SYS_CONTEXT function but could not find the info that I am looking for. for example a user is on windows 10 and runs some SQL on SQL*Developer or login to the unix and runs some script in there thru SQLplus. i need to be able to see if the user is in the Windows 10 or unix or any OS.

thanks,
warren

What about a 3-tier application like below? What OS should be reported when access is via smart phone?

In a 3-tier application, the database server is far removed from the end user clicking the button.

EndUser<=>browser<=>webserver<=>ApplicationServer<=>DatabaseServer
Re: How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into [message #672919 is a reply to message #672917] Thu, 01 November 2018 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

OP talks about SQL Developer and SQL*Plus, both are client-server programs.

Re: How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into [message #672932 is a reply to message #672902] Thu, 01 November 2018 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
wtolentino wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 14:07

thanks,
warren
It's still not clear exactly what you are looking for (or why). Suppose I'm on my windows workstation and ssh to a linux db server. From that ssh session, I start sqlplus and issue queries to the database. Which OS do you consider the client to be on, which OS do you want to report. And what process, where, wants to interrogate and get this information?
Re: How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into [message #672941 is a reply to message #672917] Thu, 01 November 2018 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wtolentino
BlackSwan wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 22:27

What about a 3-tier application like below? What OS should be reported when access is via smart phone?

In a 3-tier application, the database server is far removed from the end user clicking the button.

EndUser<=>browser<=>webserver<=>ApplicationServer<=>DatabaseServer
we also thought about that if there is a middle tier and others. but for now we need to know how to get the OS where the user had log into and from there it will be a big help for us to trace back.
Re: How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into [message #672942 is a reply to message #672932] Thu, 01 November 2018 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wtolentino
EdStevens wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 07:37
It's still not clear exactly what you are looking for (or why). Suppose I'm on my windows workstation and ssh to a linux db server. From that ssh session, I start sqlplus and issue queries to the database. Which OS do you consider the client to be on, which OS do you want to report. And what process, where, wants to interrogate and get this information?
good point and we also thought about that. as long as we can get the OS it will be a big help for us to trace back where the user logs into, one step at a time.
Re: How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into [message #672944 is a reply to message #672905] Thu, 01 November 2018 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wtolentino
Michel Cadot wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 15:50

Have a look at V$SESSION_CONNECT_INFO.NETWORK_SERVICE_BANNER.

thank you.
Re: How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into [message #673013 is a reply to message #672942] Thu, 01 November 2018 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
wtolentino wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 07:30
EdStevens wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 07:37
good point and we also thought about that. as long as we can get the OS it will be a big help for us to trace back where the user logs into, one step at a time.
Yeah, so WHICH OS? THat's what I tried to ask before but your answer is not as explicit as my question and ignored part of my questions.. like what process do you envision collecting this information and how do you envision it being reported? Perhaps you should step back and tell us what you are really trying to get and quite worrying (for now) about the technique. Suppose that, somehow, you come up with 'connection x is from a client on Windows 7'. Now what do you do with that? Answering these types of question may very well reveal that you are trying to solve the wrong problem.
Re: How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into [message #673028 is a reply to message #673013] Fri, 02 November 2018 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wtolentino
EdStevens wrote on Thu, 01 November 2018 17:59

Yeah, so WHICH OS? THat's what I tried to ask before but your answer is not as explicit as my question and ignored part of my questions.. like what process do you envision collecting this information and how do you envision it being reported? Perhaps you should step back and tell us what you are really trying to get and quite worrying (for now) about the technique. Suppose that, somehow, you come up with 'connection x is from a client on Windows 7'. Now what do you do with that? Answering these types of question may very well reveal that you are trying to solve the wrong problem.

hopefully this examples helps explains what we need to accomplish.

supposed that a user KSPADE connects to the database using SQL*Developer to run some SQL statement from windows 10. In this example the OS windows 10 is what we needed.

second example is supposed user MKORRS is on unix and connects to the database by running some cronjobs. in this second example the unix is what we needed.

another example is supposed the user JLACOSTE is on windows 8 then runs some web application connects to oracle database that is housed on a middleware/application server. in this example the windows 8 is what we needed.

thanks.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 November 2018 09:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into [message #673029 is a reply to message #673028] Fri, 02 November 2018 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
That last example is the problematic one since oracle will only know about the OS of the application server.
Re: How To Find Out the OS that the user is Logged into [message #673047 is a reply to message #673028] Sat, 03 November 2018 08:19 Go to previous message
EdStevens
OK that clarifies a bit, though as cookiemonster said, oracle can only know about the client process that is connected to it.

client on Windows workstation ---> browswer connection to web app --> oracle db

Oracle db has no way of knowing what is behind the web app that is connecting to the db.

Then there is the bigger question I posed and you ignored.

Perhaps you should step back and tell us what you are really trying to get and quite worrying (for now) about the technique. Suppose that, somehow, you come up with 'connection x is from a client on Windows 7'. Now what do you do with that? Answering these types of question may very well reveal that you are trying to solve the wrong problem.

We see this all the time. Someone is driving down a road passing signs that say 'dead end'. Driver stops at a mechanic's shop, not to ask directions, but for help making his car go faster so he can go to Aintry. Driver ignores advice from mechanic that the road is a dead end and insists of focusing on the fact that his car doesn't go fast enough
Previous Topic: XE 18c is here
Next Topic: NUP Licence question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:47:08 CDT 2024