Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Unattended Install via DOS Batch for Client 8.1.7
Unattended Install via DOS Batch for Client 8.1.7 [message #101093] Tue, 27 April 2004 02:47 Go to next message
DefiantFrog
I have got an unattended install (via the Oracle provided response file) working fine for Oracle Client 8.1.7, however the setup isn't working quite as I would like it...

I am calling the setup.exe with appropriate switches for the response file from a DOS Batch file.  Once setup.exe has been called, the batch file then assumes it has finished its job with the Oracle setup, and continues processing as normal, however the Oracle setup has only just started.  This, sadly, is a problem for me...

Does anyone know of a command line switch to add on the end of setup.exe to make sure that the batch file pauses until the Oracle client installation has completed?  Just using Sleep.exe from the Windows Res Kits isn't really good enough, as I don't want to be guessing how long an Oracle install takes - I'd much rather have the setup.exe tell the batch file when it has finished, so the Batch can carry on.

Any ideas anyone?  Advice very greatfully appriciated.
Re: Unattended Install via DOS Batch for Client 8.1.7 [message #101096 is a reply to message #101093] Wed, 28 April 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DefiantFrog
So you know, I have already tried a "start /wait setup.exe -responsefile c:pathtofile -nowelcome" and it just does the same thing as before.
Re: Unattended Install via DOS Batch for Client 8.1.7 [message #101206 is a reply to message #101096] Thu, 17 June 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel
We ended up using a loop with a sleep command that looks for the silentinstall.log file in c:program filesoracleinventorylogs.
Re: Unattended Install via DOS Batch for Client 8.1.7 [message #536354 is a reply to message #101093] Tue, 20 December 2011 06:48 Go to previous message
gicronin
Dragging up a very old thread..

I just googled a problem I was having trouble trying to make the CMD window disappear after running an EXE (while the EXE is still running). This post came up as a hit.

I was after the opposite to you it seems. You wanted to keep the window open and pause until the EXE finished, I wanted to carry on with the batch file.

I just put the path to the EXE in my batch file. No 'Start' command needed.

e.g.:

"%userprofile%\Desktop\executable.exe"

This had the effect of keeping the CMD window open and paused until my exe file finished and closed.

To resolve my problem, I just ran the exe with:
Start "window title" /B "%userprofile%\Desktop\executable.exe"
It runs the EXE and finishes processing the batch file now which is what I need.

If your EXE file closes before the install process completes then this may not work for you.
The above has nothing to do with Oracle, it was just a non related EXE file.
Previous Topic: oracle tns lost contact
Next Topic: Windows 7 64 Bit support?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:02:20 CDT 2024